Dopo aver intrapreso i primi lavori su iOS 5.1 per valutare la presenza di eventuali falle di sicurezza da sfruttare per i prossimi jailbreak, l’hacker Pod2G ha pubblicato un nuovo articolo sul suo blog ufficiale nel quale invoca aiuto da parte degli utenti di tutto il mondo al fine di realizzare in tempi brevi il jailbreak untethered del nuovo firmware per iPhone, iPod touch e iPad.
Pod2G ha pubblicato una vera e propria guida – che riportiamo di seguito in lingua originale – destinata a coloro che vorranno dare il proprio contributo nella realizzazione di un nuovo jailbreak untethered per il firmware 5.1.
How can I help the jailbreak community?
To jailbreak a device, hackers need a set of exploitable vulnerabilities:
– a code injection vector : a vulnerability in the core components of iOS that leads to custom, unsigned code execution.
– a privilege escalation vulnerability : it’s usually not enough to have unsigned code execution. Nearly all iOS applications and services are sandboxed, so one often need to escape from the jail to trigger the kernel exploit.
– a kernel vulnerability : the kernel is the real target of the jailbreak payload. The jailbreak has to patch it to remove the signed code enforcement. Only the kernel can patch the kernel, that’s why a code execution vulnerability in the context of the kernel is needed.
– an untethering vulnerability : when the device boots, it is unpatched, thus cannot run unsigned code. Thus, to start the jailbreak payload at boot time, a code execution vector either in the services bootstrap or in the loading of binaries is mandatory.
You can help if you can crash either a core application (Safari, Mail, etc…) or the kernel in a repeatable way. A kernel crash is easy to recognize as it reboots the device.
– Always test on the latest iOS version before reporting a crash (at the time of writing, iOS 5.1)
– Be sure to not report crashes to Apple : on your iOS device, go to Settings / General / About /Diagnostics & Usage, and verify that “Don’t Send” is checked.
– Not all crashes are interesting : aborts, timeouts or out of memory kind of crashes are useless. Verify the crash dump in Settings / General / About /Diagnostics & Usage / Diagnostic & Usage Data that the crash report you created is of Exception Type SIGILL, SIGBUS or SIGSEGV.
The crash should be repeatable, which means you should know what exact steps produced it and how to produce it on another device.
Via – iDownloadBlogJailbreak